WELCOME TO MY FUN SCIENCE BLOG

I am Savita Dhutti,a science teacher at a well established public school in India.I welcome all of you to My science mania ! Its a website,I created for sharing e-learning experience with my students.Science is in fact, a real fun.It is a subject never--never confined within the four walls of the clssroom.Science is a continuous process of learning! I wish to create a pleasing learning environment for my students.So, Come and ENJOY Science with me.

Tuesday 26 May 2009

Improvement of methanogenesis from cow dung and poultry litter waste digesters by addition of iron

Improvement of methanogenesis from cow dung and poultry litter waste digesters by addition of iron
Journal World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology
Publisher Springer Netherlands

When 50mM FeSO4 was added to cow dung and poultry litter waste which had been processed in daily-fed batch digesters, digesters subsequently unfed showed a faster conversion of substrate and overloaded digesters stabilized within 48 h. Early stabilization of digesters was achieved by adding 20 or 50mM FeSO4 though the latter concentration was faster. When 20mM FeSO4 was added to the daily-fed cow dung and poultry litter waste digesters, it increased methanogenesis by 40% and 42%, respectively, and increased the turnover rate of total solids, volatile solids and volatile fatty acids and the number of methanogens.

AUTHORS:-P. Preeti Rao and G. Seenayya

The authors are with the Department of Microbiology, Osmania University, Hyderabad-500007, India