WELCOME TO MY FUN SCIENCE BLOG

I am Savita Dhutti,a science teacher at a well established public school in India.I welcome all of you to My science mania ! Its a website,I created for sharing e-learning experience with my students.Science is in fact, a real fun.It is a subject never--never confined within the four walls of the clssroom.Science is a continuous process of learning! I wish to create a pleasing learning environment for my students.So, Come and ENJOY Science with me.

Friday 1 June 2007

rainbow creating activity


Dear friends

We can try this rainbow creating activity with the students of classes 6-8.

An experiment to see if rainbow will form on the wall when the light is shined into the water.



PROBLEM:


How can I make a spectrum (rainbow)?RESEARCH: Look up visible light, spectrum, or rainbows in a science textbook or encyclopedia. Write two or three paragraphs on what you learned.HYPOTHESIS: What do you think you need to do to make a rainbow?

MATERIALS:

flashlight
shallow bowl of water
pocket mirror
protractor

PROCEDURE:


1. Use the protractor to set the mirror in the bowl at 30 degrees from the bottom of the bowl. Use clay or wax to hold the mirror in place.

2. Darken the room (or do the project at night).

3. Shine the flashlight toward the mirror.

4. Describe what you see.

5. Enrichment: On a very sunny day, spray the hose in an arc. Move around the spray until you see a rainbow in the spray. Based on what you have learned, explain why a rainbow forms in the spray.


DATA:

Make a data table to record your observations.

CONCLUSION:

Explain what you learned by doing this activity.



Savita Dhutti